photo SimplySophiaBlogSN_fb.png photo SimplySophiaBlogSN_twitter.png photo SimplySophiaBlogSN_insta.png photo SimplySophiaBlogSN_Pin.png photo SimplySophiaBlogSN_Blog.png

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Charleston in 50 Hours

The time finally came... I got to visit Charleston!

For those of you who don't know, I will be attending the College of Charleston in this upcoming fall as a freshman. When picking the school, I fell in love the charm and all of the amazing things it has to offer. When it came to visiting the school, I never was able to at all. Since it's becoming a bigger tourist area, the tickets where more then a thousand. I took a lot of advice from different students there and eventually committed without seeing the school. I know, I know. That sounds crazy. But when it comes to a very very time sensitive decision, you have to go with your gut.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I got to visit for Orientation! It was a little bit scary, nerve-racking but brought a lot of relief. I know a couple people requested my itinerary for what I did in my few days there. You ask, and you shall receive!

P.S - I tried to take as many pictures as I could, but definitely wasn't able to take as many as I wanted too.


Sunday - 5:00pm | Finally landed after a day full of traveling. Charleston doesn't have a direct flight from Los Angeles so I had one major stop which had a super long layover. For the first day traveling and staying in Charleston, I was alone. My mom came Monday afternoon so it was interesting finally getting to navigate an airport on my own. Luckily I was texting my roommate Beth and we started to coordinate meeting once I landed.

Sunday - 5:45 pm | Arrived at the hotel. We stayed at the Holiday Inn and I definitely would recommend. The hotel is in perfect distance for walking everywhere and we only took an Uber twice the whole trip (and that was only to the airport!)

Sunay - 6:30 | Freshen up + Meet Beth. I took about a hour or so to get ready and then Beth and her friend met me at my hotel. We walked over to dinner and we took King Street. Even though we were in the north-isa side of King Street, I was already starting to fall in love with the city. The charm in all of the building captivates you and are stunning.

Sunday - 8:00 pm | Dinner at Mellow Mushroom. We opted for a pizza place that was pretty good. The building is two stories and is super cool inside. The hostess offered to take us upstairs where they were having trivia night. We ate our dinner and enjoyed the time (and of course, watched some trivia.)

Sunday - 10:00 pm | Once finally leaving the restaurant, we walked downstairs and quickly realized that is was pouring rain. I did have my rain jacket on me but this type of rain was nothing that I expected. There was no way I could have survived walking back to my hotel, so Beth's mom was sweet enough to come pick us up. After that we went back to the hotel and had some much needed zzz's!


Monday - 8:00 am | Orientation time! This took a majority of our time this day. Beth and I were in our orientation from 8 am until 2 pm. But within that time we walked around, went to a couple of seminars, and was able to go to our advising session for our classes.

Monday - 4:00 pm | My mom arrived sometime around this time, so after one of my seminars I walked back to the hotel to meet up with her. After the hotel we met Beth and her family at the Ale House restaurant for dinner. This restaurant is pretty cool with it being on the third floor of the building and having an awesome view. The food was also bomb so we definitely ate well.

Monday - 6:00 pm | Walk around campus. By this time it started to cool down a bit, so we walked over to the college after dinner. My mom haven't seen campus yet so I wanted to show her before it got dark. I never get tired of walking through that campus one bit. The cistern is so beautiful and I can't believe I get to call this my home away from home!


Tuesday - 8:00 am | Bright and early for second day! Our first thing on our agenda for the day was to register for our classes. I got mostly what I wanted and have a pretty good selection. I do have an 8 am each morning (which I don't mind at all since I'm an early riser) and end each day at 2 pm the latest! 

Tuesday - 11:00 am | After being done with class picking, I headed over to our families and then we went down King Street. We did a bit of shopping and I got to get familiar with what will be near our dorm. I also was able to stop into J.Crew and speak to my possible new co-workers!

Tuesday - 12:30 pm | My mom and I went back to our hotel to check out and left our bags there. We then met up again with Beth's family and got some lunch. We went to the famous Justine's kitchen for some delicious food. We got super lucky and didn't have to wait a minute for a spot which is amazing! 

Tuesday - 1:30 pm | By this time, we started to head to the activities fair near the Library. It was super good since I was able to finally speak and talk to the clubs and organizations that I have been thinking of joining. Some things I'm considering are the rowing team, journalism/publication, and some sort of faith group.

Tuesday - 3:30 pm | This was the sad part of saying bye! Beth's family and my family parted ways since my mom and I had to head to the airport. I absolutely loved getting to spend these past few days with her and really can't wait to get to know her even more! 

Thats it y'all! Let me know if you have any recommendations for Charleston or questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment


design + development by kiki and co.